Friday, April 8, 2011

I love my veggies.

The Safeway delivery man dropped off some broccoli crowns on Monday (yes, sometimes I do delivery Safeway) and I just couldn't figure out what to do with them. Thanks to the great dishes on Foodgawker, I was inspired to make a Warm Broccoli Quinoa Salad with Carrot-Ginger Dressing.

This recipe is a blend of a couple different ones I came across and I think it's going on my list of favorite kitchen experiments. Check it out for yourself :) 

Warm Broccoli Quinoa Salad
1 c quinoa
2 c water
1.5 c broccoli florets, steamed
1 scallion, chopped
1/2 tomato, chopped
1/4 c almond slices, toasted
1 1/2 tbsp carrot, grated
1 tbsp onion, grated
1/4 tbsp ginger, grated
1/2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1/4 c rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp sesame oil
pinch salt

Bring water and quinoa to a boil in a saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 13 minutes.

As quinoa cooks, prepare dressing by whisking together carrot, onion, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and sesame oil. Season with salt and set aside.

Place broccoli, almonds, scallion, and tomato in a large bowl. Pour in half the quinoa while it is still hot. Toss and stir in half the dressing. Stir in remaining quinoa and dressing. Serve immediately.

April ingredients used:  broccoli, carrot, onion, scallion

Lovelovelove the flavors and textures in this salad! Not sure how it'll taste tomorrow after being refrigerated...do I reheat? Could be weird.

I was also thinking this would be great with some shrimp tossed in there too, but it's also tasty on its own. I will definitely be making this again!

2 comments:

Sweat Is My Sanity said...

Looks so yummy, thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

runningtobeskinny.com

Sildenafil Softgel said...

Looks very delicious, I am gonna try this at home.