Saturday, November 14, 2009

Catch up

I actually had a bunch to blog about yesterday, but decided to entertain and watch Interview with the Vampire instead. I've never seen it...crazy, right? Anyway, here's a recap of yesterday's eats!

Breakfast was sort of a big deal for me. I've decided that I need to be on a budget and I think it's kinda wrong to be on a budget and toss foods just because I'm picky. I think I've mentioned my banana issues before, right? I can't stand ripe bananas. I hate the smell, the texture, the taste...ALL OF IT. There's a very small window of opportunity where I am able to enjoy a banana and it's that moment when it has just a tiny hit of green so it doesn't smell banana-y and it tastes kinda planty. I know I'm weird.

SO, back to breakfast. I had one banana left and normally I wouldn't eat it because it was definitely ripe.
But out of principal, I ATE IT. :) I'm proud of myself :)

I also decided a toasty PB&J was also in order...
I'm on a bit of a PB&J kick. Not sure why. It also looks like someone squashed my bread?

The lunch time munchies kicked in and I decided a wrap was in order...made use of some salad greens and the chicken I shredded up earlier in the week (o yes, that guy's still around) plus some of my good ol' friend Sabra Jalapeno Hummus
I filled a tortilla with a swipe of the hummus, cucumber slices, chicken, avocado, cheese and salad greens
Rolled that puppy up, and lunch was served!
Do you see that yucky rainy background? UGH. I've had enough of the gloomy, cold, wet days!

To lift my spirits a bit, plus I was really feeling the urge to cook for someone, I invited Sparky over for dinner and bevys. We have a shared appreciation of broccoli rabe, so I knew I could whip something up with my favorite green. What did I come up with? Pasta with Broccoli Rabe and Goat Cheese
Pasta with Broccoli Rabe and Goat Cheese
1 lb pasta, cooked and drained
1/2 bunch broccoli rabe, chopped
1 c cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
1 log (4-oz) goat cheese
1 small green apple, chopped
1/2 c pasta water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp chili paste
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp salt

Heat olive oil in a deep pan and saute shallot until softened. Add mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes before adding broccoli rabe. Cover broccoli rabe to steam for 2 minutes. Uncover, add apple and saute for another 3 minutes. Reduce heat, add goat cheese, pasta and some of the pasta water to thin out the sauce. Stir in chili paste, pepper, salt and serve immediately.
I must say, the apple bits weren't really necessary for this dish. They added an interesting crunch, but no real flavor.

We were starving when we got to the apartment so we snacked on some appetizers while cooking and waiting. On the menu - Jalapeno Poppers and Pizza Rolls. O yes, KLASSY.
The glorious pizza rolls!! I have a soft spot for pizza rolls ever since a friend of mine introduced them to me a few years ago. Clearly I was missing out on something!

We grabbed a random Magic Hat Feast of Fools variety pack at the Giant:
In the variety pack were the following brews:

Howl (Black Lager) - a bit chocolatey and I kinda like it!

Odd Notion Winter ’09 (American Sour Ale) - ok, so maybe we missed something, but neither of us knew we were drinking a sour ale so first sip was a little offensive. I thought mine was just funky and Sparky looked at me and just said 'vinegary'. Then I looked online (b/c you can rate the 'Odd Notions') and found out we were drinking a sour ale. UM, sour ale = gross. Sorry. Not my thing. Blech.

Lucky Kat (IPA) - I usually don't like IPAs that much, but this was enjoyable. I'd buy a six pack of it.

#9 (Pale Ale) - Good ol' trusty #9. One of my faves, but I didn't know it was going to be in this pack. Pleasant surprise! For those not familiar with it, #9 has a bit of an apricoty taste to it...not too much, just a hint.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that wrap!!! It sounds easy and omg I need to get me some of that Jalapeno Hummus!!! YUM

ah uhh..ya know, if you ever need someone to cook for, I'll bring the wine!! Or Assorted Six-Pack ;) haha. Your menus always sound so good!!

MarathonVal said...

I love your idea to add apple to the pasta! Brilliant! I bet it went together wonderfully with the goat cheese :)