Monday, November 15, 2010

Exploring the California Coast

This past weekend running buddy V was in town for a mini-vacay and to run the Big Sur Half Marathon. I was super excited since I hadn't seen her since the big move and this was going to be my first real break from the city.

I left work a little early on Friday so we could start our 3 hour journey south to Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park. Equipped with camping gear, snackies, beer and tunes, we drove our zippy little rental car down the o so scenic California coast.

The drive down Highway 1 was AMAZING. Water to the right
mountains & greenery on the left
I think our jaws were dropped the whole time.
I love my new state.

The closer we got to Big Sur, we only got AM radio and it was pretty fitting.
It felt like we should have been driving a classic car with the top down wearing big sunglasses and handkerchiefs in our hair. Cell phone reception? Forget it.

We pulled into the campgrounds just as the sun was setting and immediately started setting up camp.
I must admit that I've really only been camping twice in my entire life. I enjoy the outdoors and I enjoy the idea of camping, but I can't 'set up camp' to save my life. V had our tent and fire started pretty quickly while I got to work on what I do best:
That's right, crack open beers and photograph. Oh, and make dinner:
You know, that headlamp comes in really handy when making PB&J in the dark.

We were up bright and early Saturday morning to pack up and start the trip back north to Monterey, but not before squeezing in a quick morning hike
The park ranger mentioned a couple of hike options and we opted for the shorter (1.5 mi round trip) hike to Pfeiffer Falls and Valley View.
The falls weren't huge, but still a great sight.
Valley views were fantastic...I wish I could have captured them better. Instead I will leave you with me. In a tree.
More to come!

2 comments:

A Runner's Mind said...

You hiked BEFORE the half marathon? Pretty impressive! It doesn't take long for the beauty of Cali to win you over!

MarathonVal said...

I am sooo jealous of where you live. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!! :)