Saturday, May 29, 2010

There goes that idea...

Yeah, um so much for posting during the week and catching up on my overflowing Google Reader! As usual, I've got quite a massive and random post for you guys. Hopefully these will disappear once I get settled in my new home!

Let's see...I left you with Lost and mattress shopping. Exciting stuff. Tuesday night's run was super quick. Instead of the usual out and back route by the water, our run took us through the Presidio for a not so flat, not so hilly change of pace. My tummy got a bit grumpy with me so instead of pushing it up the Fort Mason hill for the last mile, I cut my run short to a mere 3 miles. Eh, sometimes it happens. Of course the bathrooms were locked by the time we got back. D'oh!

I wasn't about to miss the weekly group dinner, so I hoofed it over to Let's Be Frank on Steiner for some hot dogs. I like a good hot dog every now and then...I've become pretty picky lately, though. Rumor has it these were pretty legit dogs, plus I think there was a 20% off special? Who knows.

Just a couple storefronts down from Askew Grill, Let's Be Frank is an itty bitty, brightly colored shop that has a very distinct and delicious hot smell just wafting from it. YUM. I was concerned that we wouldn't fit (seating is limited to a couple tables outside and some bench seating inside - did I mention it was a little misty out?) I was torn between the "Hot" Dog (spicy family-farmed pork sausage) and the "Not" Dog (vegetarian Italian-style sausage) since someone mentioned the veggie dogs were pretty good. I ended up going with my gut and getting the "Hot" Dog...with Devil Sauce.
I need a jar of Devil Sauce in my life. So I expected a spicy relish of some sort, maybe a chunky sauce reminiscent of chili? Not at all. This sauce is AMAZING. It wasn't painfully spicy (especially on my spicy dawg) and there was a surprising curry-ish flavor. Or at least that's what I thought it tasted like. Can't wait to grab a bottle to experiment with!

Wednesday night was a huge night for me since I picked up my apartment keys!! YAY! I wandered around the new neighborhood for a bit until Selin met me for dinner and we decided sushi was a must. Where did we go? Sushi Groove. We drove on Hyde Street and saw a ton of cute bistro-y places and I thought the street was cute in general. Apparently Sushi Groove has legit sushi, so naturally that's where we ended up.

We split a few fun rolls:
Mermaid's Tail (spicy scallops wrapped with crispy shrimp tempura inside and avocado, cucumber aioli and wasabi infused tobiko), Gilligan (spicy tuna and cucumber inside, layers of bonito outside and finished with ginger, scallions and ponzu), Kamikaze Roll (salmon, avocado, scallions and tobiko), and a Wayne's World Roll (yellowtail, salmon, spicy sauce and cucumber rolled inside out with tobiko and scallions). Also added to the list were a couple pieces of the Tuna Caliente Nigiri (tuna diced with ginger, garlic, tobiko, jalapeno and soy).
Everything was fantastic...except for the Gilligan and I think it's because I expected bonito flakes. I've never had bonito before and it's a very fishy tasting fish. Kinda up there with mackerel. It wasn't terrible, just really not my thing. The Tuna Caliente was super caliente! I loved the flavors going on in it and I thought it would be great as a maki roll!

We didn't get out of dinner until about 10 (they were super slammed and gave us some edamame for free as we waited - yay!) and then we trekked over to the apartment so Selin could check out the new digs (slash advise on layout). Tastebuds satisfied and belly full, we headed back home and I passed the f out. SO exhausted.

I passed on my Thursday run (tsk, tsk!) to be productive and head to Bed Bath & Beyond for a few essentials and seal the deal on my mattress. WOO! I thought it was worthy of an excused absence, don't you? For dinner, I got a little experimental since I had lentils and tofu leftover from previous meals. I present to you Spiced Lentils with Tofu!
Not exactly the most photogenic dish, but it was pretty tasty in my opinion. A good effort considering what I had to work with!

Spiced Lentils with Tofu
1/2 package cooked lentils
1/2 block high protein tofu, diced
1/4 onion thinly sliced
1 tbsp garam masala
1/3 c spinach
1/3 c chicken broth
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sriracha sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp grated ginger

Heat olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add tofu and brown for about 5 minutes. Add onion and cook until onion starts to turn translucent. Add garam masala, salt, garlic powder and sriracha. Cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and lentils and cook for another 4-5 minutes before stirring in spinach and ginger. Cook for another 3-5 minutes and serve.

This made just enough for dinner and lunch the next day. Again, I wish I had some other spices to play with, but not bad for what I used!

Friday night's pre-long run meal was...wait for it...
PUPUSAS! Of course. This time they were from the original La Santaneca and they were GLORIOUS. Made my evening!

I popped out of bed around 7am this morning to do an early run with a friend from the running group. We both needed to be places late this morning so we agreed to meet up at 8 to knock out our 7 mile route. SO great to chat while running again! We knocked out a super easy 7 miles in 1:15 with a hill and no tourists (thank god). It felt so good to get everything done before 9:30 :)

I was starving by the time I got back and it was a good thing since we had plans for bottomless sangria brunch at Don Pisto's! When we got there everyone was already set up with some chips and guac and 2 generous pitchers of sangria. Delicious and somewhat fizzy sangria. It went down very nicely :\

To fill my empty belly, I had some Huevos Rancheros
Not too large or too small a portion, I polished this puppy off in no time. Doused in some hot sauce, those eggs and cheese and beans and mmmmmm. Hit the spot. Did I mention the perfectly sunny side up egg and bits of avocado?? YUM. I kinda wish there was a 3rd one instead of potatoes on the side...is that so wrong? haha.

I had to skip out of brunch early since my mattress arrived early. So much for delivering within a set window. Jeebus. For some reason I'm hungry again. Surprise. Welcome back, bottomless pit summer. I'll probably post more this weekend. Lots of fun stuff going on! How are you guys celebrating the long weekend?? Hope you're eating well!

3 comments:

MarathonVal said...

Glad you had such a great run - love those! :)

Aren't you excited it's almost marathon training season?!?!? I can't wait!!!

Jamie said...

kowalski's are the best hot dogs ever. can't wait to have some when i get home next week.

Travel Eat Love said...

Sounds like you are having a blast!