Friday, June 25, 2010

Chilly Willy Funk

Wednesday was just one of those days. It was chilly out (though, technically perfect running weather) and all I wanted to do was go home and cocoon in my blanket. I don't know what it is, but lately I've just been a bit down and tired. I wouldn't be surprised if it's due to living in one room with just a bed. There's just something so 'sick-day' about it. You know...that sick day mentality where all you want to do is sleep and veg? So bad.
Lucky for me the dry cleaner I planned on scoping out closed at 7 and I got home at 6:30 and desperately needed to drop clothes off. I mapped out an ambitious 5 miler from the dry cleaner but knew I'd probably cut it to 4. By the time I was a mile in, I had negotiated with myself to cut it to 3 with a walk home. At the 2 mile point I gave into the gentle tug tug at the Achilles and the general lack of energy and decided it would be a 30 min run with a bus ride home. Eh, at least I got something in.

Once I got home, I wanted nothing to do with cooking. In fact, I probably would have been content with the carrots I was snacking on. Maybe. After a lot of cabinet/fridge opening and closing and a whole lot of sighing, I decided to be adventurous with my microwave and made some Pizza Oats. Say whaat?
Inspired by the strange, but o so delicious and addictive spicy breakfast oats I've been into lately (thanks to Green Dog Wine), my dinner used oats as a base and my favorite pizza flavors were sprinkled on top. Not exactly the most attractive dinner, but whatevs. Sometimes you just need a quickie dinner!

I nuked some oats then sprinkled some shredded cheese (it may have been gruyere or manchego?) and layered some arugula on top. In a separate bowl, I threw in some finely diced eggplant (so it would cook faster), some marinara sauce, Italian seasoning, chili flakes and....KETCHUP. Just a squirt. Shh. Microwaved it for awhile until the eggplant started to get mooshy then I poured it on top of the arugula bed. Sprinkled some cheese on, then back in the microwave for another 1.5 minutes.

Don't believe there's oats under there?
Told ya it wasn't pretty. I snacked on this surprisingly decent dinner while watching a repeat of America's Next Top Model. Just a couple of observations:
  1. When Tyra stands next to Cycle 13 contestants (that are all under 5'6") she looks like a giant.
  2. I can't believe anyone would live with ants in their home and not try to get rid of them.
  3. Malagasy = people from Madagascar.
Who knew I'd learn something from reality TV? HA.

No comments: