Friday, January 14, 2011

Addicted Much?

Earlier this week, I sat at my computer patiently waiting for registration to open for the MoreFitness Magazine Women's Half Marathon. I don't think I've ever done that before...

See, it will be the sister's introduction to the 13.1 club and I figured, well, if I'm going to fly across the country to cheer I might as well join in on the fun. Plus, I've got beef with Central Park.

The last time we met (NYC Half Marathon 2008), I got my butt kicked by 7 miles of rolling hills and crazy heat. This time I'm coming prepared. Central Park, you ain't got s$#! on my hills!


Enter crazy talk...


I woke up yesterday morning thinking, you know what would be great? If I could finish 10 half marathons before my 30th birthday (which is totally creeping up). Why? I like the sound of 10. It sounds better than 9. Just like 5 seemed like a good number for marathons. I also think it makes the race a little more meaningful. Sister's first, my 10th, another one hooked on running...awesome.


Now, I know there's no way I can properly prepare for the Kaiser Half in February, BUT I was considering this: Oakland Half Marathon (3/27/11). Anyone hear anything good or bad about the Oakland Half?


Again, it's not really critical for me to squeeze #9 in before April (and I won't if I'm not prepared), but I'd like for it to work out. Any other races you know of in California in March?

Enough about my running addiction. Let's move on to this week's food & drink adventure!

Went to happy hour last night with some coworkers and discovered quite a nice deal! We went to Perry's (the Steuart Street location) and they had some pretty decent specials. $5 wine, well drinks and draft beers; $4 domestic bottles; and $5 appetizers. I sipped on a Big Daddy IPA and an Anchor Steam (yay local brews!) and we snacked on some Potato Skins and Calamari to start.

We were all craving real food, so a few of us split burgers. I split a burger with pepperjack cheese and sweet potato fries with one coworker and not only was it filling and reasonably priced at $5.25 each, but it arrived already split for us! I love when places do that...it's less messy and it ensures each person gets just the right amount! I don't even think they charged extra for splitting. Score.

We like condiments.

Happy hour runs til 6:30 and it wasn't too packed on a Thursday evening. Cozy and not too loud...I'd return.

I was a little concerned about how I'd get home afterward. I really hate the commute from my office area after peak transit hours. It usually means my ride is twice as long and involves multiple modes of transport. Boo. I was also trying to be responsible by not blowing money on a cab home. Luckily, I caught a muni train just as it was leaving the station AND was able to squeeze onto a cable car right before the driver pulled the ding ding cord to leave! Phew!

Ok, maybe not the most appropriate ride home considering the only spot left for me was one of the standing/hanging spots...it made me nervous. Clearly I did not fall off since I'm typing this ;p

Gorgeous evening, good company, tasty snacks...perfect way to ease into a long weekend :)

No comments: