Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Rosemary Cod Cakes

I had some cod. I had some leftover Carr's crackers. It seemed only natural to mash them all together. The result? A quick batch of fish cakes good enough to top a salad.
*man, I need to invest in some better lighting.

Rosemary Cod Cakes
1 cod fillet, minced
5 rosemary crackers (or you can sub in some buttery Ritz crackers and some rosemary), crushed
1/2 egg, beaten
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp coconut milk
pinch cayenne pepper
2 tbsp oil
1/4 c panko

Combine first 7 ingredients in a bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Form into 4 patties, coat with panko and chill for 10 minutes. Heat oil in a pan and cook cakes for 3 minutes on each side.

I'm still in my 'all veggies, all the time' mood, so naturally I popped these on a salad with some of my favorite random toppings. Those big dark circles: pickled beets. YUM. They taste way better than they look in that photo. Any tips on shooting better photos? I can't exactly splurge on fancy schmancy lighting and that crazy hint o yellow comes from my kitchen and dining room lights.

As for the cakes...they weren't my favorite, but they were a quick weeknight dish that incorporated a couple ingredients that really needed to be used. Hm. Maybe I'll add that to my list of goals. Try to do one meal a week that only uses ingredients that exist in my kitchen? It'll force me to be creative! Sold. Hurrah!

1 comment:

sophia said...

A DSLR. Sorry, that's really the best way to get great photos consistently, good lighting or not. You can also edit them using a free photo editor program like Picasa, which is what I use. :-)

I don't think your pics are bad at all though! Your fish cakes look terrific!