Monday, January 18, 2010

Hi, I'm no longer a PC.

And so far, I'm very happy about it :)

Hi all, I'm happy to report that my new computer has arrived and I'm making my triumphant return to blogging! Well, sort of. I seem to have misplaced the memory card for my camera so please bear with me as I resort to Google Images and iPhone shots :/

I've got a lot of fun food stuff to report on and for now, here's a quick rundown. Recipes will follow shortly!

Mid-day pickup at Maoz Vegetarian in Dupont:
My 5 cent bag that I insisted on keeping at my desk for emergencies...because I didn't really need the bag, but since I had already paid for it (thanks cashier man who didn't ask) I decided to take it. Inside:
I went with the Salad Box, which comes with 3 falafel balls and greens in a bowl that you can fill with a ton of different salads. I got a little bit of everything (unfortunately they don't list the types of salad on their website or menus) - some tabbouleh, cabbage salad, carrots, tomato & cucumber salad, and some beet salad. Grabbed a container of yogurt sauce and tahini and I was all set.

I must admit that this was my first 'real' falafel experience (I've really only eaten the kind in Trader Joe's refrigerated Mediterranean platter) and I really liked it! My bowl was definitely too oniony for a workday lunch, but very tasty! Next time I think I'll try the sandwich that Maoz is known for.

That night (or maybe the following night) Sparky came over to help me take down my shedding Christmas tree. We walked up to Comet Ping Pong for dinner since neither of us had been before. Note: Comet is WAY closer when you're running.
I've passed by this place many many times and had heard some good things. Based on other people's descriptions, I imagined it being a filthy, divey sort of place...not so much.
It's pretty open inside with booths and dining tables made of ping pong tables (actual ping pong tables are in the back) and they have a ton of fun pizzas and beer to choose from.

We started with a pitcher of North Coast Red Seal Ale, which was pretty tasty and went well with the pizza I created:
A White Pie (olive oil, garlic, fresh mozzarella) with grilled broccoli rabe, smokey mushrooms and anchovies. BEST. PIZZA. EVER! The briny anchovies went great with the slightly bitter broccoli rabe and the fresh mozzarella was a great balance to the saltiness from the anchovies. YUMYUMYUM! I had leftovers for lunch/dinner the following day so it was worth the dinero.

One weird thing about Comet - the bathrooms. First of all, they are tucked away in a little nook. Second of all, the doors are somewhat hidden (like there are just cuts in this log cabin-y looking wall) and you have to push them in. I swear, while I was in the bathroom, my door was pushed at least 3 times!

I didn't have to work at the store last Sunday so I nerded out big time and cooked 2 soup/stewed dishes to last the week: Chicken Tortilla Soup and Bollito Di Manzo (Italian Boiled Beef with Tomato, Anchovy and Caper Sauce). The soup was a variation on one I usually make and I stumbled across the beef recipe on The Eclectic Cook. Recipes will come this evening, but here are some (blurry - SORRY!) pictures to tide you over:
Chicken Tortilla Soup w/some extra corn tortillas
Bollito Di Manzo over some Roasted Smashed Potatoes and Pearl Onions with some Roasted Broccolini

For breakfast the other day I decided an omelette was necessary. Of the smiling variety:

Chopped up some basil and scallion, shredded up some reduced fat Kerrygold cheddar and shoved some greens in the middle. I even did a slick omelette flip! Wooo!

Ok. Back later. Time to figure out how to get my music and photos onto this sucker and get some gym time in before work. Later!!

2 comments:

MarathonVal said...

Yay for the new computer!! I've always been scared of Macs since they are so different and I'm scared of change, but I've heard such great things! Have fun with your new toy! :)

Jamie said...

the second one looks good minus the rabe. i miss home cooking!