Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sometimes it's okay to stray

Sometimes I get super crazy about following my training schedule. Other times, I say f the schedule! Ok, ok...maybe I say f the schedule a little too much :\

I had a 5 miler planned for this evening, but the 5 mile route took us all the way out to Hopper's Hands and back. My issue with running out to HH (for the sake of this post, that means Hopper's Hands and not happy hour ;p) is that the ground is so uneven that my calf gets so freaking sore the next day. I figured that wasn't a good follow up to bouncing around at kickboxing and Saturday's 12-miler.

Sooo, I took it down a notch and opted to do an easy 4 miler instead. I was cruising and feeling good...a little naked since I forgot my water bottle, but good overall. Hit the Warming Hut turnaround and decided to take the dirt path Promenade back.
Not going to lie, I started feeling a bit rough toward the end. It was a little too warm for the pullover I had on, I was starting to get tired and my belly was not happy (perhaps too many fruits today :\). I was convinced I shortened my run even more by taking the dirt path and was pissed off at myself for taking it so slow.

So I got home, kicked my shoes off
Think I have enough sneakers in my life? And no I didn't fix those up...I think that is exactly how I take my shoes off.

Mapped my route and, o hey, what do we have here? I ran 4.3 miles? In 39 minutes? THAT explains why the end was so rough.

I did a whole lot of stretching and stick-ing afterward and (knock on wood) the calf/achilles are feeling ok right now. Hopefully they still feel good tomorrow!

For dinner, I busted out the trusty steamed lentils from TJs for a quick and tasty meal
Lentils with Chicken Basil Sausage and Feta
1/2 package steamed lentils
1 chicken basil sausage, cut into bite sized pieces
3 stalks kai-lan, cut into bite sized pieces
1/4 c onion, minced
1/3 c grape tomatoes, quartered
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp broth or water
1 heaping tbsp reduced fat feta, crumbled
pepper

Heat olive oil in a pan and saute onion and sausage for 3 minutes or until onion starts to soften. Add broth or water and kai-lan and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and freshly ground pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in lentils and reduce heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Top with a small sprinkling of feta and serve immediately.

Two thumbs up. I heart lentils.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

choes go in the closet...not in the hallway. better clean those up before september :)

Kelly said...

Looks like a gorgeous running path :) You definitely have to say f the schedule sometimes so you can enjoy running a bit!