Saturday, August 21, 2010

Longest. Run. EVER.

Lesson learned, man. I should always stick to my "stay home every Friday night" rule...no more exceptions.
Last night I caved and met up with friends for some shabu-shabu at Cafe Mums in Japantown.
Have I mentioned my love of shabu-shabu before? Thin slices of meat, bubbling broth, veggies, noodles, sauce...AAHH YUM! There was this place in Rockville that Jamie and I would go to (total hole in the wall, obvs), and the last time we were craving shabu-shabu we found out it was closed! AGH! It's been ages since my last shabu-shabu experience so I really couldn't say no ;)

I had no idea what I was in for. Apparently Mums is known for it's all-you-can-eat and drink deal. Ehhh. I allowed myself a sake bomb and then stuck to water for the rest of the night. The late late night.

A few communal plates of meat and several hours later, it's way past my bedtime and I'm BEYOND full. I finally got home at 11:30...a little too late considering I had to be out the door at 6:30am for my 18 miler. Yeeh.

Woke up still painfully full (how is that even possible??) so I passed on meeting up with the early morning group runners. I was determined to get all 18 done today no matter what, so I forced myself to get out before noon...even with a belly full o cow :\

Since it was going to be a doozy of a run, I actually rocked the headphones. The first time in a long time for me! Took it slow and steady to make sure I didn't burn out and did pretty well for the first 13 miles...until this guy popped up:
Mapping fail! The following block (we're nearing 14 miles at this point) was a set of stairs. Meh. I ended up running halfway up the hills and walking the rest. And believe me, there were a bunch of hills.

Things flattened out eventually, but I had to make a pitstop at a Vitamin Shoppe to get more water/electrolyte beverage because there are no water fountains in the middle of the city. Hm. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find Gatorade while running? Bizarre. Then I found myself in a pretty sketchy part of town where I got creepy comments as I bolted through the streets. In the middle of the day. Yeah, I will not include that neighborhood in future runs.

My second and final mapping fail came at the very end when I realized I mapped the last smidge of the run through the Stockton Street Tunnel. PASS. I decided it was ok if my run was just shy of 18. Seriously, I'm not going to be picky. I got it done, right? I have no idea how long it actually took since it was a lot of city running with traffic lights and random stops (hi, Vitamin Shoppe). All I know is that I was extremely grateful to have headphones. Here's just a snippet of what got me going this afternoon...


Yeh, I also surprised myself with all the Lenny Kravitz and Chemical Brothers. And that I went through my entire playlist on this run. All 64 songs. Jeebus. Also, Footloose seems to be one of my favorite songs to run to b/c I repeated it 3 times. Hahahaha heeey Kenny Loggins!!

How did your Saturday runs go?? I hope they went much smoother than mine did!

5 comments:

Jamie said...

we found out bob's was close on my birthday. so sad :( and there is no replacement in town.

B.o.B. said...

"Heeeey Kenny Loggins" hilarious! LOL!

Do not stay out late before long runs. Been there. Hated that.

I'm a total nerd on Fridays but believe me it pays off during those doozeys. :)

MarathonVal said...

That's so crazy you are at 18!!! I did 16 this morning. I wonder if you will outrun me at the marathon because you are doing all this extra mileage, haha!

Can you believe it's only a few weeks away?!?

rUntoNamAste said...

<3 Chemical Brothers!
Great run, mapping fail and all.

We Are Not Martha said...

Hehe definitely a good idea to stay in on Friday night's then :) I don't go on long Saturday runs and I still can't handle late Friday nights :)

Sues