Sunday, August 15, 2010

Running fail, kitchen success.

Perhaps I was a little too ambitious in thinking I'd be able to rock a 16 miler this weekend after being sick all week. Yah? Yah.

Yesterday's mid-day run felt good since I was itching to get the legs moving (I had a serious case of runner envy this week), but apparently my body had another idea. I made it about 30 minutes before the coughing kicked in so I decided to walk up some hills the rest of the way home. I took a little side trip to snap some photos at the Palace of Fine Arts

Can we say obsessed with Hipstamatic? Ha.

Of course I got impatient with the whole walking thing and ended up running halfway up hills and walking to the top. Not a bad workout after all! What are your thoughts on walking? Do you get impatient too or am I crazy??

I decided to give 16 another try this morning and mapped a pretty sweet route. Unfortunately, this time around the coughing cooperated, but I was just feeling too tired to even make it through a run/walk. FAILURE. I power walked home and planned on stopping at the farmers market except I forgot my debit card. Sad. Looks like produce at the grocery store instead :\

I'm seriously bummed about missing the farmers market...I tasted some grape tomatoes I bought at Safeway and they are totally not the same. I miss my farmers market tomatoes :( MUST go next Sunday!

After a quick stop at the apartment, I headed out on a walk to meet a friend in Union Square. I opted for a fairly hilly and long route to make up for my failed runs and to enjoy the beautiful weather. I love that it's gorgeous and sunny on weekends...totally makes up for the cloudy and cold weekdays :) Naturally, I snapped a photo
Once I got back, I realized I might have a bit of a shoe problem...
O yes, count 'em up...3 pairs of identical sneaks. Haha. Hey, just because two of them aren't good for running anymore, doesn't mean I can't walk in them! Since my most recent pair are still ok for short runs, I took them out yesterday. The oldest pair gets demoted to walking. Ta Daa.

I rocked out in the kitchen to a fun cooking soundtrack as I whipped up an early dinner of Tilapia with Orzo Salad and Brussels Sprouts.
I know, I need to start using regular sized plates so my food doesn't fall off. It'll happen...someday.

Sunday Cooking Funlist

Yes, I was a very happy camper in the kitchen. I'm sure my across the street neighbors enjoyed the dancing. HA.

Recipe time!

Orzo Salad
1/2 lb orzo, cooked and drained
1/2 c grape tomatoes, quartered
1/3 c fat free feta, crumbled
1/3 c corn
1/2 avocado, diced
1/4 onion, minced
1/4 c mustard vinaigrette (see below)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, refrigerate for 20 minutes before serving. Onion can be substituted with shallot or scallions.

Mustard Vinaigrette
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp tarragon
1 tsp sherry vinegar
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp maple syrup
salt & pepper to taste

Whisk ingredients together.

Spicy Brussels Sprouts
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp chili garlic paste
sprinkle garlic powder
1 c frozen brussels sprouts

Heat olive oil in a pan. Add frozen brussels sprouts and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic powder and chili garlic paste, stir and cover for 1 minute. Uncover and cook for another 2 minutes.

Quickie Pan Seared Tilapia
1 tilapia fillet
garlic powder
olive oil
lemon juice
mirin
salt
pepper

Combine all ingredients in a shallow dish and let tilapia marinate for 5 minutes. Cook for 2 minutes on each side. *I used mirin only because I didn't have any white wine and it seemed like a good idea. Not bad.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey girlie!
woohoo MIZUNO'S!!! they are the only shoes I can run in! no worries about having three pairs...it makes each pair last longer if you rotate! :)
I hope you feel better soon! you will rock those 16-miles!
I loveee the farmer's market too...fresh local produce is unbeatable, I can't wait to go later this week!
I hope you week is off to a great start!
xoxo!

Anonymous said...

your pictures look great! so sorry to read that you're sick. i know how frustrating it must be to not be able to run properly or complete a workout because you're ill!! hope you'll have a speedy recovery soon! :) and your meals look fantastic. love the cute little brussel sprouts!

We Are Not Martha said...

Such pretty photos!!! I LOVE walking but sometimes I get bored and just want to get to wherever I'm going!

Your meal looks delicious!! Especially the orzo salad.

Hope you feel better :)

Sues

Karena said...

hey ladies! thanks for the motivating words...finally on the mend! :)