Monday, February 8, 2010

Leisurely start to the week? I'll take it!

Found out this morning that I didn't have to go into jury duty after all, so I took my time getting into the office. It didn't occur to me that the metro would be running super slow - every 30 minutes to be exact! So what would normally take me about 10-15 minutes door to door took me about 50 minutes! Ridic!

I did a quick run through the grocery store on my way home (after another crazy long wait for the metro) and was shocked that some decent restocking had taken place! Yay! Imagine my surprise when I saw a few bunches of my o so favorite broccoli rabe in stock! :)

On tonight's menu - Spicy Garlic Shrimp with Broccoli Rabe and Rosemary Polenta
I've done many variations on this dish and it's becoming one of my favorite quick comfort dinners. Generally, I stick with the same flavors when I make this dish, making minor changes as I go along (see my lemongrass version here). I think this might be one of my favorite versions! Defrosting time included, it took no more than 30 minutes to get this meal in my belly :)

Spicy Garlic Shrimp
10-12 pcs shrimp, tail on
1 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp chili garlic sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp white wine

Heat olive oil and butter over medium high heat in a pan. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add shrimp and cook until they start to turn pink. Add chili garlic sauce and white wine and saute until shrimp is cooked through.

Rosemary Polenta
1 c chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp rosemary, chopped
1/4 c frozen corn
3 tablespoons quick cooking polenta
1/2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp parmesan cheese

Bring chicken broth, salt, rosemary and corn to a boil in a small saucepan. Whisk in polenta, followed by butter and parmesan cheese.
Super simple, right? Polenta cooks up fast, shrimp takes no time and I kept the broccoli rabe simple, sauteing it with some olive oil, salt and pepper! Such an easy weeknight dinner. Sorry for the double pics - couldn't decide which one I wanted to use haha.

I'm off to do some work and maybe some reading. More soon!

2 comments:

MarathonVal said...

Haha I'm the opposite, I really want to get on jury duty but my husband is a lawyer so I think it will be hard.... typically that means that I will get thrown out of the jury pool.

But, I'm happy for you! :)

Jamie said...

you should start cooking head-on shrimp to get the full seafoodie goodness out of those little guys.