Monday, September 7, 2009

Hmm, I hope Karena beana hasn't returned from vacation yet because I was supposed to blog while she was away. I sort of have a good excuse though - it was my birthday weekend!

Well Karena's blog is about food and running but I mostly attended bbq's this holiday weekend, didn't get around to cooking anything, and went on one really basic run down 14th from T to Constitution and back (yeah, not far, I'm not as hardcore as Karena in the running department). Though I might note that my V-Moda Sport earbuds totally died on said run. Actually the left one had already died a few months ago but I kept using them because I just put the dead earbud in the ear closest to the road as kind of like a safety feature to be able to hear on one side because I like to run with fairly loud music to keep me going. I loved the earbuds when they worked so I'm not sure if they are really crap or if I just put them through more than the normal wear and tear. Maybe I'll have to try the earbuds Karena included in her previous giveaway.
So I'm afraid all I have to share is the meal I had at Rice (http://www.simplyhomedc.com/) on Thursday (sorry about the cell phone pix, the love of my life - my Canon SD 750 - was recently stolen). This was my second visit to the Thai eatery and like the first visit - it did not disappoint! Other than a couple of bug bites, we really enjoyed sitting outside. I ordered the clear drunken noodles with tofu thinking it was some kind of menu snafu where I would really just get clear vermicelli noodles, but I was pleasantly surprised to get clear noodles in both the wide flat drunken noodle style as well as some interesting rolled up ones - like super skinny penne without points or ridges. It was truly delicious and provided unique new textures my mouth hadn't experienced before.

I'm also including pictures of the bright green rice that came with the red curry and panang curry dishes and the dark green rice that came with the chicken and olive with basil in green tea sauce dish that were also ordered at my table. Not sure what accounts for the color difference and what each one tastes like...

My first time at Rice I had the basil veggies and tofu (can't really mess this dish up), lemongrass iced tea (awesome!), and mango with sticky rice (prob the best I've ever had) - all of which were also extremely yummy (in case you're checking out the website menus I must tell you that unfortunately they don't seem to have been updated and do not list most of the things I'm talking about).

Ok, it's waaaay past my bedtime. I think I'm supposed to add labels in here but I have no idea what that means - maybe Karena will fix that for me when she gets back. If I can squeeze in another posting before she returns, I think I'll talk about some of my favorite work lunch discoveries (I work in the Dupont area) - the Korean carts and/or Suki Asia's daily lunch special.

4 comments:

Wanda said...

oops - forgot to put a title on this sucker! but honestly, how could I compete with foie gras lollipops?!

Selin said...

HAHAH dude I was just making eyes at those drunken noodles (and singha) and its only 10:35 am in CA....

Paige@ Running Around Normal said...

Bright green rice?! That's awesome!! :)

Anonymous said...

I want me some Thai food now! :S
Foie gras lollipops or Thai food? Hmmm, Thai please! :D