Monday, May 11, 2009

Berry good.

Today I took a personal/"mental health" day and it was completely necessary for me to maintain my sanity. Between work, running and a bunch of other things, I've just felt so burnt out lately. I'm in a funk and I'm not quite sure how I got into it or how to get out. The only thing that seems to clear my head and calm me is cooking. Weird, huh. Anyway, I tried to completely detach from work today and, with just a few quick glances at the berry this afternoon, I made it until 5pm without turning my computer on and stressing about work. That's pretty successful, no?

Dinner tonight was supposed to be a Curried Wheatberry Salad, but as I wandered around the Giant to grab some lemons for the dressing, I realized that this dish is perfect as a side...not as a whole dinner. Poor planning on my part :\

I decided to grab one of these babies while wandering the aisles:
I figured a half rotisserie chicken could last me for the rest of my meals this week and it's neutral enough to work for the wheatberries and Wednesday's dinner. I started working on dinner as soon as I got back from the store since those wheatberries take forever to cook (like 45 min to an hour)!

Here are all the ingredients:

All mixed up (perhaps I went a little too crazy with the scallions):

Decided to use up some leftover asparagus so I drizzled them with olive oil, sprinkled on some pepper, garlic powder, sea salt and a sprinkle of parrano cheese:

And dinner time :)

Verdict: I think the wheatberry salad needs more time to soak up the flavors...or maybe it needs something more acidic. I was slightly obsessed with this wheatberry salad at Whole Foods awhile back and I googled some recipes last week and came across this one at Gourmet Goddess. It sounded like what I was looking for (replaced the raisins w/apricots because I really do hate raisins in savory dishes) so maybe I'll give it another taste tomorrow :)

Curried Wheatberry Salad
1 c wheatberries, cooked and drained
2 tbsp scallions, chopped
1/3 c dried apricots, chopped
1 large lemon, squeezed
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp curry powder
4 tbsp olive oil
pinch salt

Wisk together lemon, oil, honey, curry powder and salt. Combine wheatberries, scallions, apricots and dressing in a bowl. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Ok, time to be a lame girl and watch my Redbox movie now - Bride Wars. Don't judge! Sometimes you need a super cheesy girly movie!

No comments: