Saturday, May 16, 2009

Bikers galore

This morning's run took us through Rock Creek Park on a fairly quiet road blocked off to traffic on the weekend. Surprisingly there were a ton of bikers on the road today (thankfully they were the friendly kind). I'm pretty sure they outnumbered the runners!

The running group was just me and one other buddy this morning and while it was an easy long run day, we ended up running a little less than 8.5 miles at 10 minute pace - faster than I like to do my weekend long runs. I actually didn't notice we were going that fast until I plugged our final time into MapMyRun! This was a great change from all the downtown running I've been doing lately :)

Didn't make it to the street food downtown b/c my ankles were kinda hurting for some reason (fingers crossed it's just for today!). For lunch Jamie and I grabbed some Potbelly sandwiches and brought them back to the apartment. Included was an Oreo shake ;)

Also, in honor of Jamie's return (and because he had a two day long, delay-filled adventure back), I made some cupcakes. Kind of a big deal since a) I don't bake and b) I rarely allow fun treats in the apartment. That being said, we made our weekly trip to the grocery store and I picked up the ingredients:
Nothin' says lovin' like some boxed cake mix! I added some chocolate chips in the batter to make them almost homemade ;)
Of course those couldn't be eaten until AFTER dinner. Dinner tonight was Mapo Tofu and again, I had some help from a box. Sometimes you need help!!
Mapo Tofu is a Szechuan dish typically made with ground pork (I use ground turkey) and tofu, flavored with black bean paste and hot chilis. Making this tonight really made me crave a trip to Great Wall Szechuan House in Logan Circle. It's a tiny place that features dishes with Sichuan peppercorns - a super spice that often leaves you with a numbing feeling in your mouth and a somewhat floral aftertaste.

Anyway, I keep these boxes on hand since it's such a comforting and easy dish to make. Since I never really like things straight out of the package, I throw in a few extra items just for fun.
Also invited to the party were (l to r): 1/4 tsp of my favorite chili garlic sauce, 1 tsp of black bean garlic sauce (didn't have any plain black bean paste handy), splash of mirin, soy sauce, oyster sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil, scallions, firm tofu and ground turkey (not pictured).

Over rice:
Of course it doesn't compare to what you get at Great Wall, but it does hit the spot :)

This week's dinner menu will feature some comfort foods and maybe one experiment. Picked these up at the grocery store as well...
One side's for snacking and the other side's for cooking...can you tell which is which??

1 comment:

Jamie said...

maybe you should try to make your own mapo w/o the box sauce? i full confidence that you could do it. i'll spring for the szechuan peppercorns!