Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I really should start reading things carefully...

After pulling out all the ingredients for tonight's Orecchiette with Caramelized Onions, Sugar Snap Peas and Ricotta Cheese, I realized that I totally grabbed the wrong bag of peas last night! Last night's dinner should have contained SNOW PEAS and tonight's was supposed to have the SNAP PEAS. D'oh!

That being said, tonight's dinner ended up being
Shells with Caramelized Onions, Snow Peas and Ricotta Cheese.
I found this recipe in an issue of Bon Appetit and with a few modifications (surprise!), it was ready in 30 minutes! Couldn't find any Orecchiette at the Giant, so I subbed in medium shells. I didn't have 1 1/2 tsp of lemon zest so I used all I could get out of my two wee lemons. In the end, I think it was just enough zest for my taste :)

A last minute addition to the dish was some grated Parrano cheese, which added a good salty flavor...but I don't think that was enough. Jamie and I both sat there trying to figure out what the dish was missing. Meat? Acidity? Mushroom? Not sure. It was good, but definitely needed something else. Anchovy? Just kidding! If anyone else is willing to give the recipe a try, let me know what you think can be added!

Nothing new in the world of running...taking it easy this week as I recover from my cold (which has turned into a spastic cough) and the surprising soreness from Sunday's half marathon. I nerded out this afternoon and planned my training schedule for my fall marathon. I'm anxiously waiting to see if I got into the NYC Marathon...I'd really love to run it, but I found out (after I entered the lottery) that one of my good friends is getting married THAT DAY. Granted, she's just getting married in nearby New Jersey, but not an ideal situation!

I'm actually planning my training schedule around a friend's first marathon. She's all signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon on October 25th and I can't wait to train with her! Is it weird that I get really excited about people running their first races?? My plan is for us to do an 18 week program that ends on October 25th and then adjust my remaining runs accordingly depending on if I run NYC or OBX. Yes, I've put WAY too much thought into something that is 4 months away.

I'm also seriously thinking about signing up for the Philadelphia Distance Run to make up for my performance this past Sunday. It's been on my radar for awhile now and I haven't done anything about it. I really shouldn't spend the money, but part of me wants to save up just to register. There's just something about the crowds of spectators and runners that I can't get enough of. It's like I have a crazy addiction or something! Decisions, decisions.

No comments: