Saturday, July 4, 2009

Atlantic Grill lunch and more NYC!

Happy 4th of July! Hope everyone is enjoying the weather!

Thought I'd take a few minutes to fill you in on Atlantic Grill, a restaurant on the Upper East Side where we had lunch yesterday afternoon. We met up with a friend from college that had heard a bunch of good things about this restaurant so we decided to check it out.

Friend and I split two sushi rolls, a
Crunch Spicy Tuna Roll (Crab, Avocado, Scallion) and a BBQ Eel Avocado Roll.
Both rolls were
delicious! We obviously didn't read the description for the crunchy spicy tuna roll because neither of us expected the crab meat...but we didn't mind it at all! It was a great blend of flavors! The sauce on the bbq eel roll was a little tangy - didn't expect that either, but in the hot afternoon sun, I actually didn't mind it.

In addition to the rolls, we each got appetizer sized salads. I did the
Atlantic Chopped Salad (Cucumber, Feta, Capers, Tomatoes, Olives, Roasted Peppers, Onions, Chick Peas, Fresh Basil, Croutons, Parmesan Cheese, Balsamic Vinaigrette), which was tasty, but not anything too exciting. I think it could have used some avocado ;p
Friend got the
Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Salad (Frisée, Candied Walnuts, Champagne Vinaigrette). It looked excellent with the golden and red beets...plus, can't go wrong with goat cheese and greens!
Jamie got what might have been the
big winner of the table - Crab Cake BLT (Avocado, Beef Steak Tomatoes, Applewood Bacon, Chipotle Remoulade, Toasted Brioche & Homemade Potato Chips). This looked AMAZING. I only tried the potato chips, which were cooked to crispy perfection, but Jamie said the sandwich was awesome.
How yummy does that look??? The roll was perfectly molded to the stuff inside!

Overall, it was a delicious lunch, but a little on the pricey side. The portions were pretty large considering I was pleasantly full from my appetizer salad and sushi roll. I'd say check it out if you're in the area, but
don't make a special trip just to eat there.

After lunch we walked 20 blocks or so to digest and shop. I saw a couple cute bags and skirts at Pookie & Sebastian. Any time I go shopping with Friend, we manage to wander in this store and it's rare I ever find anything to try on because there are a ton of super girly, floofy shirts...not really my style. I was shocked at how much I wanted to try on this time around! I refrained from buying anything though.

We did dessert at...SURPRISE, Pinkberry. Man, this blog is turning into
how many times can Karena eat frozen yogurt in a month! We stopped in and OH MY GOD there was something STANKY in that place. I don't know if it was the trash or what, but it smelled so wrong. We all really wanted yogurt so we stood there for a second and decided ok, if everyone else is still ordering yogurt, then whatever, we'll take it to go. So we did. Can you guess what I got? haha.
We walked a few more blocks with our yogurts when we decided to stop at Redemption Bar for a bathroom/sit down/drink break while we waited for college friend numero dos. I've been to Redemption a few times, but I never realize what it is until someone brings it to my attention. We sat down and Jamie and I each got a drink while waiting. I didn't realize that it wasn't happy hour and that I was staring at the specialty cocktail list so here's a picture of my
TWELVE DOLLAR MOJITO. Ugh.

Ridiculous, right? It was a really tasty mojito, but I guess I had sticker shock for a second there. I secretly was hoping it was going to come in a pint glass :\
We hung out at friend numero dos's apartment for a little while as we waited for our train back to the jerz and then walked over to Buttercup Bake Shop to pick up some cupcakes for my nephews.
I was in a rush (since we had about 20 minutes to order, pay and get over to Penn Station - poor planning, I know) so I frantically picked out 6 different cupcakes to bring home. We got 2
Red Velvet, 2 Devil Dog, 1 Buttercup Golden with Vanilla Icing and 1 Buttercup Golden with Chocolate Icing.
I liked how they added the tissue paper so they wouldn't fly around. It's like they KNEW we were rushing to get somewhere and would probably jostle the cupcakes! Genius!

As soon as we got back to the house, my mom had a whole dinner spread ready for us. TONS of food! Jamie put in a special request for
grilled sardines:
My mom made these one of the first times Jamie came up to visit and apparently they were so good, he was hooked on them. I tried them this time around and really liked them. They were just drizzled with
olive oil, salt and pepper and thrown on the grill. My mom served them with a soy sauce/vinegar/lime sort of sauce. (I needed Jamie to cut the head off before I was willing to eat one of these).

Also on the menu - Teriyaki Ginger Glazed Salmon. My mom makes this all the time and it's a pretty safe bet. The sweetness of the teryiaki sauce is great with the ginger. This one had a ton of freshly grated ginger and was a nice surprise.
As if that wasn't enough food, my mom also made two of these:
She and my dad each ate one of those little sections on the left and Jamie and I split one of those long pieces on the right. Pardon my lack of steak cut knowledge! Needless to say, we had mountains of leftovers!

The eating continued this afternoon after a brief morning run. I'll get into the details later - gotta break away from the blogging and hang with the fam. Movie time with the nephews!! Hope everyone is eating well :)

No comments: