Sunday, July 26, 2009

Long run + humidity - people + late start = epic fail.

Definitely caught up on my sleep...I slept until about 9:30 this morning! Part of me wanted to just push my run off until the evening, but I know from experience that it's better to just get it over with as soon as possible.

I finally left the apartment around 10:30 with a pretty decent route that took me along the Mall and Hains Point (yes, I wanted to tackle it again) ending at Lafayette Park so I could walk to the Borders before hopping on the metro. Unfortunately, I
got about 3 miles in and started getting a terrible queasy feeling and thought I was going to yak in the bushes :\

I think I've finally figured out
why I have such issues with running long runs on my own. I just can't seem to pace myself properly when I run alone. I got to (what I always assume is) the 1.5 mile mark on my run and I was definitely running too fast, so I tried to slow down but it just didn't happen. Of course I'm not going to last the whole run! UGH. So frustrating. It's like running and talking with people gets me to slow down and not burn out. Perhaps this is reason number one I should get the Garmin I want ;p

Ah well,
at least I got out there and did A run this weekend...it's something, right? It's definitely better than what I did while training for Chicago, which was skip some weekend runs entirely.

Since I was in Farragut North, I stopped by the Borders at my old office to pick up a copy of this:
Whenever Jamie is out of town, I tend to get into sappy movies and crap like that. I saw a preview for The Time Traveler's Wife with Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana. Pretty sure I want to see it because my sappy factor kicked in this week hehe. I did some googling and decided I was going to give the book a shot. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Before jumping on the metro home, I walked up to Dupont to check out the Farmer's Market. I was psyched that I was finally able to catch it, but when I opened up my Fuel Belt pouch, I discovered that in my haste to get out the door this morning, I didn't pack my ATM card and I didn't have enough cash to buy the stuff I wanted :( Ah well, it was a bit too crowded for my liking so looks like I'll have to check it out another weekend.

I'm off to the pool now to enjoy some much needed vegging in the sun. More this evening!

4 comments:

Mel @ She Runs Brooklyn said...

I'm reading that book right now, it's pretty good :) let me know what you think!

MarathonVal said...

Honestly, that is my FAVORITE book of all time. I have actually read it every summer for the past 4-6 summers or so!

I'm reading it again now before the movie comes out - of which I have high hopes, and it actually looks like it might be decent - I don't want to be disappointed!

Hope you like it!

Anonymous said...

I need to pick up a copy of that book! I've hear rave reviews about it. My mom is a librarian though so I'll probably have her get it for me because I won't have a due date and can take my time reading it!!
Glad you got to the Farmer's Market.. sorry you didn't have money though!! Your market looks awesome!! I love big cit markets! I'm hitting the Boston one next week! :-)

Karena said...

Hiya ladies - I started reading at the pool and am HOOKED. If I wasn't so late to work this morning, I'd totally take a lunch break in the park to read!