Friday, July 24, 2009

Why can't I ever remember pine nuts?

I don't know why, but every time I want to put pine nuts in a dish, I ALWAYS forget to pick them up. And of course I realize this after I've walked too far from the store! Ah well, I made do with my ingredients and made myself a broccolicious BSI dinner while watching Say Anything. You know you're jealous ;p
Chiocciole with Roasted Broccoli, Red Peppers and Chicken Sausage
1 1/2 c chiocciole pasta, cooked and drained
2/3 c broccoli florets
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
1/2 red pepper, sliced
2 chicken sausage links (I used Roasted Pepper and Asiago), sliced
1 small tomato, diced
2 tbsp parmesan cheese, shredded
salt
pepper

Line a baking (or toasting) pan with foil and spray lightly with olive oil. Spread broccoli out in one layer and spray with some olive oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper on broccoli and roast at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and saute onion and chicken sausage until onion starts to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add red pepper and saute for another 3 minutes. Add tomato, lower heat and let cook for 5 minutes.
Add pasta, broccoli and parmesan and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately.
I know, I know, you're probably thinking 'wait, didn't she just say she can't do pasta before a long run?' I usually don't...but I made an exception tonight so I could submit to this week's BSI! Plus, there are more veggies than pasta ;) I really wanted to do this with some broccolini, but there wasn't any to be found in the THREE stores I went to!

I might love this dish - the fun pasta shape and the roasted broccoli (WAY more fun than just steamed) were awesome with the rest of the ingredients!

I'm headed to bed early tonight...12 mile run tomorrow morning (1st half is all by my lonesome until I run past running buddy 1's house to pick her up). My goal is to get a brief post in pre-work because I picked up some fun goodies at the store this evening. Hooray for fun breakfast :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This pasta looks amazing!! I'm definitely going to try it!! Have a good run!!

MarathonVal said...

Pine nuts are great on everything, you are right they would have been awesome on the dish you made.

What is this blogger secret ingredient deal? I want to be in on the fun ;)

Paige@ Running Around Normal said...

I agree with you that pine nuts are definitely an awesome addition to a pasta dish, but that pasta looks amazing anyway!

Karena said...

Thanks ladies! After last night's experience, I'm thinking you should try this with another chicken sausage...this was the first time I used that brand and yeah, not so good on the belly :\

Rebeca said...

Ooo, I hope you're feeling better!

It looks amazing though-

P.S. How can someone not like broccoli... tragic!

Cucinista said...

Great BSI! Like the idea of the sausage addition.